Siliguri Travel Guide
Siliguri Travel Guide: The Gateway of Eastern India by being the main transit point for going to Darjeeling hill region, Sikkim, Bhutan, Eastern Nepal and Assam- Siliguri is one of the most beautiful places on the earth. A magnificent get away from noise and pollution, this is heavenly bliss in a world of peace and calm. Not only it’s a very soothing place, but also a real boom city. However it’s not an absolute getaway from the feel of a big city – after all Siliguri is a major trading center for the states of northeast and eastern Nepal. It thus offers you a unique experience a getaway in the arms of nature –yet close to the commercial bustle.
Place To Visit in Siliguri
Siliguri is a commercial town because of its tea and orange trades. The Hong Kong Market with its foreign goods is another major landmark.
A little away is the Wild Life Sanctuary at Jaldapara. Here you can spot the bison, deer, one horned rhino and many others. There are numerous picnic spots like the Mahananda Weir Sukna that lies inside the Mahananda Wild Life Sanctuary, Kalijhora along the Teesta River and the hill resort of Mirik on the way to Darjeeling from Siliguri.
Unique Shopping in Siliguri
- Always insist on a bill for purchases made
- Purchase from reputed or recognized shops.
- Ensure RST/ CST registration numbers in a corner on the bill sheet.
- Payments made by credit cards must have the amount mentioned in words and numerical too.
- Always double-check the goods in the parcel before leaving the shop or allowing it to be packed for dispatch.
- Ensure payment by credit cards is made only once for each bill.
- Wrongly made out bills must be destroyed there and then to avoid double payment to the shopkeeper.
How to Reach Siliguri
Air: Bagdogra – 16 Km. from Siliguri, is the nearest Airport,
Rail: Siliguri is the junction of North-East Frontier Railway on meter gauge railway grid. Direct rail connections are available from Siliguri to Lucknow, Gauhati and Katihar.
The popular ‘Toy train’ between New Jalpaiguri and Darjeeling passes through Siliguri.
Bus Services: North Bengal State Transport Corporation links by road almost all the important places of North Bengal. Long distance Express buses to Kolkata, Patna and Durgapur, Ranchi, Gauhati are available from Siliguri
Do’s and Don’t’s
- Always book into approved hotels or RTDC run hotels.
- Make enquiries at the information bureaux located at most Railway stations, Bus stands, Airports
- Before staying in a paying guest accommodation, always check about its authorisation by the Department of Tourism
- Always keep your hotel room locked when there or when out for sight seeing, shopping.